Patent Litigation at the International Trade Commission
September 28, 2009 5:30pm - 8:30pm
559 Nathan Abbott Way
The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) is an independent administrative agency with broad powers to investigate unfair trade practices related to the importation of products into the United States. Such unfair practices include violations of U.S. intellectual property laws, including the importation of products that infringe U.S. patents. If the ITC determines that an imported product violates U.S. IP laws, it has the power to exclude the product from entry into the United States, or it may issue cease-and-desist orders directing the person engaged in such violation to cease and desist from engaging in such unfair methods or acts. Such exclusion orders may be broader than district court injunctions.
A panel of experts from the ITC, industry, academia, and legal practice will provide an overview of the ITC and "Section 337" investigations (relating to patent infringement), and address current practical and policy issues such as:
- recent trends in the use of the ITC as a patent litigation forum
- strategies for working with the ITC to initiate or respond to an investigation
- the domestic industry issue – do patent trolls count?
- the interplay between parallel ITC investigations and district court actions
- strategies for working with the U.S. Customs Service to enforce ITC decisions
- implications of patent reform
Judge Carl C. Charneski, Administrative Law Judge, International Trade Commission
Steven E. Adkins, Partner, Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Mark Lemley, William H. Neukom Professor of Law, Stanford Law School
Win Hwangbo, Senior Attorney, Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc.
CLE will be available.
For access to reading materials for this panel, please visit "Related Media" in the left navigation bar. To register, please click on the link below.
- Section 337 IP Infringement Investigations by Steven A. Adkins
- The Role of the Office of Administrative Law Judges Within the United States International Trade Commission by Hon. Carl C. Charneski
- "Several Healthy Steps Away": New and Improved Products in Section 337 by Steven A. Adkins and John Evans
- Win Hwangbo: Biography