- Summa Cum Laude with High Honors in History, Bowdoin College, 1970
- Rhodes Scholar, Trinity College, Oxford, England, 1970-1972
- Richard F. Fenno Prize, 1988 (co-winner with J. A. Ferejohn and M. Fiorina)
- ASCIT Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1988
- Elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2000
- Zale Award for Outstanding Achievement in Policy Research and Public Service, Stanford University, 2000
- Distinguished Research Mentoring of Undergraduates Award, College of Letters and Science, University of California, Berkeley, 2003
- The American Political Science Association and Pi Sigma Alpha (The National Political Science Honor Society), award for outstanding teaching in Political Science, 2003.