The William H. Neukom Building
Why A New Building?
A campus plan that fosters interaction will go far to create a more engaged and engaging environment, all to the benefit of the teaching and scholarship that goes on at the school. These new buildings and the opportunity they afford us will be the foundation upon which all else rests.
Larry Kramer, Professor of Law (on leave)
The original law school building housed 39 faculty; today, our faculty numbers 45 but must grow to 50 to fulfill our goals. In addition, we employ five or more senior lecturers who teach full–time, as well as 8–10 clinicians. Much of our research and teaching takes place within our 20 centers, each of which needs meeting rooms and office space for its directors and fellows; it is this group of senior academic program, public service, and clinic staff that represents our primary area of growth.
In addition to the original building's physical space constraints is the matter of the current culture of Stanford Law School. It is simply impossible to house our full faculty and the clinics in the current academic building, and it would be very detrimental to split them up; the experiences of other law schools bear this out. Additionally, the current building is poorly suited for the kind of interactive, dynamic law program we seek to develop. The faculty is isolated from each other and from students. There is no place for faculty and students to meet and interact casually, and the result is a building that often feels "dead."
To Learn More
For more information about supporting Stanford Law School, please contact:
650 736.1238 (T)
650 725.9786 (F)